You can use the Rich Content Editor to upload a video. The Rich Content Editor is used in features that support the editor (Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, or Syllabus).
Canvas allows you to upload supported media types.
Canvas videos also support caption files. Once you upload a video, learn how to add captions to a video.
You can embed images from your personal files in Canvas into the Rich Content Editor. You can also add alt tags to your images for better accessibility.
You can only embed images that have been previously uploaded to your personal or course files. However, as an instructor, you have the option to upload images to your course files using the content selector. If a change is made to the image in your personal files after it has been embedded, the image you have added to the Rich Content Editor will not be changed.
You can use the Rich Content Editor to record audio. The Rich Content Editor is used in features that support the editor (Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, or Syllabus).
You can use the Rich Content Editor to embed images from the web. You can also add alt tags to your images for better accessibility.
The Rich Content Editor is used in features that support the editor (Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, or Syllabus). If a change is made to the source of your image after it has been embedded, the image you have added to the Rich Content Editor will not be changed.
Note: If you want to embed an image not already uploaded into Canvas, you can upload your image through the Content Selector.
You can easily import quizzes from programs that create QTI files. If a program does not create QTI files, it cannot be imported into Canvas.
QTI files can be created from a variety of different learning management systems and software:
- Quizzes created in Respondus 4.0 (Windows software) can be exported as QTI packages. To learn how to use Respondus 4.0 refer to this user guide (DOC). A QuickStart guide for Respondus 4.0 is also available (PDF).
- Quizzes created in Blackboard (WebCT, Angel) can be exported as QTI packages.
- Quizzes created in Moodle can be exported as QTI packages. Note: This will work with Moodle 2.0 or older versions. However, Moodle 2.1 and newer versions no longer export QTI packages.
Note: Canvas supports QTI versions 1.2 and 2.1.
If you have set a time limit on your quiz, you can grant access for extra time. If the student hasn't taken the quiz, the extra time will be added to the student's initial attempt and additional attempts. Learn more about managing extra attempts.
If a student is currently taking the quiz while you are viewing the Moderate Quiz page, you can extend the quiz time as part of their current attempt. You can choose how many minutes to extend the quiz, and whether you want to add those minutes to the current time or the current (scheduled) end time.
Note: The maximum time you can extend a current attempt is 1440 minutes (24 hours).
You can create a quiz using a Question Group linked to a Question Bank.
When you link a Question Bank to a Question Group, you will see all of the Question Banks that you have built in the same course, and those you have bookmarked in other courses where you are the Instructor. You will also see Question Banks that have been added by your administrator to your sub-account, which makes it easy for instructors in the same department or program to share resources.
Canvas will reference your chosen bank of questions as each student takes the quiz. Each student will get a random number of questions pulled from the bank. For instance, if you want to use questions from the English Department and they have 7 questions in their Question Bank, but you only want the Question Group to display 2 questions, Canvas will randomly pull 2 of the 7 questions as each student takes the quiz.
- When linking a question bank to a quiz, be sure to make changes within the question bank before the quiz is available to take. Although you can make changes to the question bank after a quiz is published, students who have already opened or completed the quiz will not see any of the changes, which may affect their grades. Students who begin their quiz after the changes are made will see your updates.
- Questions that are linked to a Question Bank cannot be regraded since they may be used in more than one quiz.
You can use Surveys to receive feedback from your students or give them some extra points by responding to a Survey.
Note: Student Analysis for Surveys must be downloaded as a CSV file. Item Analysis is not available for Surveys.